Battle of the Books
Battle of the Books is a statewide competitive reading program which encourages reading, broadens reading interest and recognizes those students who enjoy reading. Middle school students read five to eight books from a list of 27 books by award winning and respectable authors. While they read the books, the students will create trivia questions and take an AR test on the books they have completed. For more information, see NCSLMA - North Carolina School Library Media Association
Guidelines for Writing Questions
- Begin each question with, "In which book..." or IWB.
- Use present tense and correct grammar.
- Proper names should not be used.
- Write the title and the author as they appear on the Official Booklist.
- Key in the page number for the answer.
- Avoid using words from the title.
- Refrain from obvious questions.
- Avoid questions that can be answered by more than one title.
- Review each question to ensure all the criteria have been met. Is the question clear, concise, and correct?
- Questions can be typed on a 3" by 5" index cards, legibly handwritten or put on a floppy disk template. See Media Staff for help with the Microsoft Word Template.