The Federal No Child Left Behind Legislation has resulted in changes to the requirements for our substitutes. Current substitute teachers and all prospective substitute teachers please read this attachment - Substitute Teacher Board Policy changes
Edgecombe County Public Schools maintains a pool of substitutes to ensure continued services to our students in an employee's absence. We have substitutes for teachers, child nutrition, bus drivers and bus monitors. Schools contact substitutes on an as-need basis.
To be considered for inclusion on our substitute teacher list, applicants need to do the following:
- Complete the on-line Substitute application following the directions for completing the application making sure to select Edgecombe County Public Schools as a recipient. Note: If you experience any problems while completing your on-line application or have forgotten your username and password, please contact DPI @ 919-807-4357.
- Applicants must complete all the forms listed under "Required Forms" and provide a copy of their driver's license, social security card, high school diploma and a copy of the Effective Teacher Training course certificate. The forms should be mailed to:
Edgecombe County Public Schools
ATTN: Human Resources - Substitutes
P.O. Box 7128
Tarboro, NC 27886
- All prospective substitutes are required to attend the district sponsored Edgecombe County Public Schools' Substitute Seminar before being processed as a substitute teacher. Notification of the Substitute Seminar is posted on our webpage, aired on Channel 3, posted in The Daily Southerner newspaper, and posted in our schools.
- All prospective substitute teachers must complete the Effective Teacher Training before being approved as a substitute. Effective Teacher Training must have been completed within the past three years.
Substitute Pay Rates
- Licensed Teacher Sub - $91/day
- Non-Licensed Teacher Sub - $70/day
- Child Nutrition Sub - $8/hour
- Bus Driver / Bus Monitor Sub - $10.71/hour
Copies to be submitted
- Copy of Driver's License or photo ID issued through the NC Division of Motor Vehicles
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Copy of High School Diploma, GED, College transcript or High School transcript showing date of graduation
- Copy of Effective Teacher course certificate
- Copy of teaching license if applicable
Substitute Seminar Requirement and Yearly Intent Form
All substitutes are required to attend the Edgecombe County Public Schools' district sponsored Substitute Seminar before being processed as a substitute teacher or the first scheduled seminar. Failure to attend will result in removal from the substitute list. Notification of the Substitute Seminar is posted on our webpage.
To help maintain our pool of substitutes, a continued employment Intent Form is sent to all substitutes annually. This Intent Form is to determine the substitute's wish to continue service for the next school year. If the form is not returned or the intent form indicates a wish to be removed from the substitute list, employment will end and schools will no longer make contact requesting substitute services. 1) Failure to respond will automatically remove a substitute from the list; 2) A substitute may request to be removed, and there will be a 2 month waiting period for reactivation.
It is imperative that the Personnel Services Department have your current mailing address.