Career Interrupted by Military Service

Professional school personnel whose work is interrupted by active military service are eligible for experience credit for the time of active service based on General Statute 115-151 enacted in 1945. The statute reads:

“The State Board of Education, in fixing the State Standard Salary schedule for teachers, principals, and superintendents as authorized by law, shall provide that teachers, principals, and superintendents who entered the armed or auxiliary forces of the United States after September 16, 1940, and who left their positions for such service, shall be allowed experience increments for the period of such service as though the same has not been interrupted thereby, in the event such persons returned to the position of teachers, principals, or superintendents in the public schools of the State after having been honorably discharged from the armed or auxiliary forces of the United States.”

Submit Form M and a copy of military separation papers (DD214 or equivalent) to request experience credit for active military service that interrupts a professional educator’s work. There is also a $60 processing fee required. The fee can be paid by check (made payable to NCDPI), money order, or credit card by using Form CC. The fee is non-refundable regardless if the experience is granted.

If employed, submit Form M, the DD214 and licensure fee to the Licensure Specialist for this school system. If not employed, mail to:

Department of Public Instruction
Licensure Section
6365 Mail Service Center
Raleigh, NC 27699-6365

Forms You May Need: